Analytics

Monday, September 6, 2010

This Coffee Shop is Not a Playground

As a childless adult, I find it extremely irritating and distracting when adults with children let their children run around restaurants during a meal.

Now, on an empirical level, I get it.  Your kid has legs.  Your kid knows how to use those legs.  Your kid wants to move around.  But, seriously folks, isn't this what they invented Chuck-E-Cheese for?

Come on.  I'm trying to enjoy my morning coffee and discuss current events in the Sunday paper with my husband, and I'm finding it impossible to hear what he's saying because your banshee of a child is running around and screaming right next to me.  I didn't spend $3.50 on my chai tea to have my morning ruined because you don't know how to control that thing.

I propose a rule: if the establishment you are planning on taking your kids to does not provide crayons to your kids, it is not a "family-friendly" restaurant.  That doesn't mean you can't take your kids there.  But it does mean that the other people in the restaurant probably don't find your kids to be as adorable as you do, especially when your kids are screaming at the tops of their voices.

I avoid restaurants like Chuck-E-Cheese and Red Robin because I don't want to be surrounded by a lot of noise.  I go to places like the local coffee shop because I want to enjoy a nice, adult atmosphere and have a decent bagel.  Please, respect my right to not be subjected to your crazy children.

Thank you, and enjoy your visit to the local playground- which is about 5 miles away from where I am having my coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment