Analytics

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Holidays Make Me Verklempt

Every time there is a holiday, I get all sentimental like a total idiot.  It can be the most major or the most inconsequential of days, I still get all verklempt.

Independence Day: Oh, my god!  I love America SO MUCH!
Labor Day/Memorial Day/Veteran's Day: Oh, my god! I love the troops SO MUCH!  I am SO PROUD of our troops!
Earth Day/Arbor Day: Oh, my god!  I love the Earth SO MUCH!  Let's all save the Earth!
Valentine's Day: Oh, my god!  I love Scott SO MUCH!
Election Day: Oh, my god!  I love America SO MUCH!

And on and on.  You can imagine, then, how rough the time between Halloween and New Year's is for me.  It's a crazy emotional roller coaster ride between total euphoria (at the fact that the holidays are awesome) and total hysterics (at the fact that the holidays are awesome.)  I get teary-eyed when sentimental holiday commercials come on (and don't even get me started about It's a Wonderful Life.)  I walk around in a total haze of good will towards my fellow men.  And if I should ever see somebody acting like a crazy person because of the holidays, I think, "Oh, how sad.  They must have forgotten how AWESOME the holidays are!"

As an example, last night I went to pick up pizza for myself and my friends.  Our pizzas were still cooking, so I had to wait a few minutes.  Thankfully, they have a television, and thankfully, Beauty and the Beast was on.  As a child raised in the 90's, that movie embodies my childhood experience.  Maybe seeing that movie primed my emotional response.  I'm not sure.  All I know is that after I paid, I wished the cashier "Happy Thanksgiving!" and found the words sticking in my throat and that familiar sting behind my eyes.  As I walked into the parking lot, that self-critical part of me reared up: You idiot!  You don't even know that guy!  Why should you care if he has a happy Thanksgiving!  But then, the compassionate, emotional part of myself answered back: Because, Thanksgiving is an awesome holiday!  And everyone has something to be thankful for!  And I hope that guy can celebrate with his family and friends!

And so I say to everyone: Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.  Remember what you have in this life to be grateful for.  Even if it's just that the sun came up again today.

Now, where are the tissues?

No comments:

Post a Comment